Saturday, April 18, 2009

Intimidation....one of the biggest factors!


So today I did something that I haven't done in a really long time. Talked myself out of doing a group workout because I felt intimidated. Living in San Diego there are many group weekend bike rides to choose from. I wanted to do a group ride that would be challenging so I picked a smaller group to go with. When you see 50-100 bikes in packs together...well to me that doesn't seem like the kind of workout I'm looking for. So I went with a smaller triathlon training group called Breakaway-training. What the heck was I thinking. I wasn't really thinking...just excited until I got about 1 mile from the meeting spot and I began to talk myself out of it. So then 2 minutes later I found myself circling the parking lot checking out the 5 people that were there with their bikes. 3 men and 2 women....the men looked to be mid 20's to mid 30's and in incredible shape. These guys looked like they not only raced in many triathlons a year....they looked like they probably WIN the race. So as I drove home in shame I came up with this top 10 list....

Top 10 reasons I shouldn't feel Intimidated....

10. They have probably had their bikes longer than 3 days
9. They have probably ridden more than 4 times in the last 10 years
8. They probably knew what a bike jersey was longer than 2 months ago
7. They probably didn't start their period last night...making them super insulin resistant and throwing their BG/insulin ratios off.
6. They probably didn't wake up with BG at 216
5. They probably knew how to pump up their tires this morning...and their pump probably wasn't brand new
4. They probably don't have riding optics that are 10 years old and held together with duct tape
3. My speedplay pedals and tri shoes are super cool and I have not fallen off my bike yet
2. They probably didn't have to worry about taking the right amount of insulin, making sure they had plenty of extra nutrition and trying to calculate their BG response for the morning ride.
1. My triabetes bike jersey is way cooler than theirs!!!!

Hey...atleast I got to the parking lot....next time I'll be really ready!

BG: 356...ugh! And now begins the recovery for what I had bolused for considering the ride I was going to do! I'm getting out there today....on the bike....then a run...but just not with a group. Me and my thoughts and the road....I'll do without the intimidation for a while til I build up a bit more experience and confidence.

2 comments:

  1. By year's end those 5 will be drafting off your rear wheel Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen you ride... you'll hold your own! As a lifelong fan of Letterman, I like the Top 10 list though :)

    ReplyDelete

PUMPing INsulin...

PUMPing INsulin...
June 6, 2008...Day 2 on my Animas 2020