Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Does Diabetes have me???


I've often read about and talked with other active Type-1 diabetics who insistently claim that even though they have diabetes, diabetes doesn't have them. That is a strong statement that is often put to the test as a diabetic athlete. I am also one of those people who says that diabetes doesn't have me!! But there are times when I wonder if that is truly the case.

I'm in NC visiting family for 12 days and because I couldn't deal with the hassel of bringing my bike and often times do not have access to a car my training for the IMAZ has been limited to running. So I have been running every day since I've been here. 2 days ago I had a great 2 hour run...tested a few times and each time my sugars were great:) Because of this my anxiety about going low was completely absent. It even rained (poured down) the last 15 minutes of my run which was such a nice and refreshing treat. I love running in the rain. Got home and my sugars were around 100. This was a run where I felt like I didn't even have diabetes....despite the fact I had to stop a couple of times just to check my sugars to see if I was in a good range.

Before I had diabetes I would go out for a run for as long and as hard as I wanted to. If I was hungry I ran through it, if I had a pain or discomfort I ran through it, if I was tired or unmotivated I ran through it, if I wanted to run longer I would, if I wanted to do speed work or fartleks or stairs I would. I've learned that through having diabetes that part of my personality has been and must be altered. I cannot push myself sometimes (given certain circumstances) because I have diabetes. My friends and students used to ask me if I was a surfer (I guess I kind of look like a surfer girl) and being that I am deathly afraid of the ocean (saw Jaws at the perfect age of 10) my response was always that I was a land girl and loved running. I would tell them "you can't die running." SO very ironic that now I have a disease where if I am not completely prepared that yes I could absolutely die running!! Such a pisser!! So I've learned to not be so stubborn and that there are certain times where I cannot push myself even though I used to. So, does diabetes have me???

I had a great run 2 days ago....then comes yesterday. I left for a 1.5 hour run and my BG was 74. I ate half a purefit bar and had no insulin on board and took 39 grams of carbs with me along with my mini meter that I always take on my runs. 30 minutes into the run (30 minutes out) I went to check my sugars. My meter wasn't working! Crap!!! I guess all the rain from the day before messed it up so now it doesn't work. I didn't feel safe to keep running. I ate 8 grams of carbs thinking that I probably wasn't low but not being able to check and see exactly where my sugars were at I did not want to chance it. Part of me (most of me) wanted to keep going but the diabetes side of me said "no idiot, turn around and go back." So that's exactly what I did. I turned around and walked back. Keeping myself calm the entire way....working on my zen breathing:) When I finally got back to the house I was 207. See, I knew I was going to be high but what can you do? I felt frustrated but I understand that that is a part of my disease. There are certain chances you just can't take.

Then today happened!!! I ate lunch around 12:30 and went out for my run around 2pm. I was 247 when I left...I thought to myself...perfect because I probably don't have that much insulin left on board...I didn't take a whole lot of insulin at lunch anyway. But I didn't check to see how much insulin I did have on board and didn't eat anything before I left. I ran out the door with 31 grams of carbs and my other tester. I was planning on running 1.5 hours. 45 minutes out (5 miles from my house) into my run I felt a little funny and checked...OH Crap... 41 .... Okay that's not good! I stopped to walk and ate all 31 grams of carbs immediately! I walked for 10 minutes in this random neighborhood in Charlotte NC where there are NO STORES nearby (I always take money with me). I checked again.... 42 ....GREAT!!! As I contemplated what to do I walked past a house that had about 5 cars in the driveway. This is my only option! I rang the doorbell and explained to the woman that opened the door that I was diabetic and that my sugars were low and wondered if she could spare a glass of juice. She quickly understood and told me that here father was a diabetic and invited me in. I drank 16 oz of lemonade and ate a large flour tortilla....all together about 90 grams of carbs. 10 minutes later I felt better and was at 104. I thanked them profusely and ran out the door to finish my run. They offered to drive me home or let me call someone but I insisted that I would be fine. I checked every 15 minutes for the last 45 minutes of my run... 134.... 137.... 141. I knew I would be fine and by the time I got home (2 hours later) I took a shower and was at 178.

All of this is to say.... yes I have diabetes, and yes, sometimes it has me but mostly it doesn't!! I will never let these incidents and learning experiences stop me from being me!! What will I do tomorrow? Be more careful, plan a little better and go out for a 2.5 hour run! So there you stupid diabetes....you will never have me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PUMPing INsulin...

PUMPing INsulin...
June 6, 2008...Day 2 on my Animas 2020